Below is the updated procedure on how to renew the digital driving license in Kenya. Follow each step because it is important so that you do not pay money to the wrong Merchant. You need to counter-check that you are paying for the renewal of the subsequent year. Sometimes, the system does not automatically pick the next year while doing renewals.
- Log in to the eCitizen website – https://account.ecitizen.go.ke/login
- Select “National Transport and Safety Authority” for renewal of a driving license application.
- Choose the “Submit Application” option and select “Driving Licences”
- Select either “One Year Driving Licence Renewal” or “Three Years Driving Licence Renewal” to renew your driver’s license using mobile money services such as M-Pesa.
- Confirm the application details i.e. Application fee (Driving Licence renewal for 1 year @ KSh 600 and Driving Licence renewal for 3 year KSh1, 400) and Convenience fee @ KSh 50 then Click “Apply Now”
- Review your entry, then click Submit
- Choose a mode of payment which can be through Mobile Money such as M-Pesa or Debit/Credit card.
- After the payment, submission, and successful application, one will be able to print their renewal driving license slip.
How much does it cost to renew a driving Licence in Kenya
Payment for license renewal will be made using available mobile money services; a three-year licence will cost Sh1400 plus a Sh. 50 convenience fee. A one-year licence on the other hand will cost Sh. 600 and Sh. 50 convenience fee. After successful application, one will be able to print their renewal slip
How to renew your driving license online in Kenya without e-citizen and MPESA?
In 2018, the NTSA issued out the new generation of driving licences in order to improve the records kept on drivers. Some of the items included in the digital driving licence are;
- KRA PIN
- ID Number
- It will also contain the driver’s information and a record of their traffic offenses
- It’s even now easier for, because the NTSA has also developed an app, which you can enquire about the following;
- The status of your motor vehicle
- The status of your driving licence.
- To check your road service and licencing status
- The status of your Sacco licence
- The status of the PSV licencing
- To find out the status of your vehicle’s night travel licence
Apart from NTSA renewal services offered by e-citizen here are some of the other services offered on the same platform;
- NTSA New Driving licence. This gives you authority to drive a motor vehicle of any class on Kenyan roads.
- Provisional driving licence. This will be issued to you when you want to undergo training in driving.
- Driving test endorsement. This enables you to drive other classes of vehicles other than the one you are driving.
- Duplicate driving licence. When your driving licence is stolen, lost, damaged or defaced, you are required to apply for a replacement.
The main functions of the National Transport Safety Authority as outlined in Section 4 of NTSA Act are;
- Gives advice and make recommendations on matters relating to road transport and safety.
- Implements policies relating to road transport and safety.
- Responsible for planning, managing and regulating the road transport sector with the provisions of the Act.
- Lastly, it provides safe, reliable and efficient road transport service
The following are the conditions for granting of driving licence in Kenya.The licensing officer shall not grant you a driving licence unless;
- You have passed the driving test and you are competent to drive that class of motor vehicle and that you hold a certificate of competence.
- You are holder of a valid driving licence for that class of motor vehicle granted by competent authority in a country of the commonwealth.
- You have acquired an international driving licence.
- When you make a declaration as to whether or not that you are suffering from any such disease or physical disability which would result to cause road accident while you are driving.
- You are able to read with glasses if worn, a motor vehicle identification plate at a distance of 25 meters. Note that, a blind person or a person whose one eye is blind, is not allowed to possess a driving licence.